LISTEN TO PREVIOUS EPISODES OF VOE AND MORE PODCAST EPISODES ON THE TRUE CONVERSATIONS NETWORK ABOUT DIVERSE ISSUES FREE ON THE GO FROM YOUR PHONE WITH ITUNES AND STITCHER!
CHECK OUT OUR LEADERSHIP WORKSHOP SERIES ON HOW TO HAVE MORE TRUE CONVERSATIONS AND WHO YOU HAVE TO BECOME TO HOLD SPACE FOR THEM.
Hi and welcome back to “A Woman’s Heart” podcast show, on the TRUE Conversations Network, I’m your host Edna Howard, Chief Encouragement Officer and Founder of Voices of Encouragement, an organization designed to empower women.
You can learn more about True conversations network at:
www.true-conversations.com and more about Voices of Encouragement at www.voicesofencouragement.com/
I’m so excited you decided to take the time out of your busy schedule to listen to another empowering message. Today I am going to talk you about “The Power of Positive Thinking (Tapping the Power Within).
I’m a woman of faith so I’ll start from the Faith perspective. The first thing I do is to look to scripture for guidance and wisdom on how to think, act and be.
Scripture tells us in Philippians 4:8 (NIV) “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”
Ephesians 4:29 “Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear it.”
Psalm 19:14 “May these words of my mouth and this medication of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.”
Proverbs 23:7 “For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he"
So, you might ask what does it mean as a man thinketh in his heart so is he? Well the truth is each person's thinking and core identity is determined by and reflects, conditions of the heart — this is a primary meaning of: "as he thinketh in his heart, so is he."
Said differently, what you think about you bring about – so you should think about some great stuff.
And from a more philosophical perspective: Mahatma Gandhi said
“A man (woman) is but the product of his thoughts what he thinks, he becomes”
Here’s a question for you: Did you know that our thoughts determine the quality of our lives?
The conversation today is all about thinking positive but first let me set the stage by talking to you about attitude: A couple of quick questions to get you thinking. Put me on pause and grab a piece of paper and a pen, cause you’re going to want to write these downs.
1. Do you have a positive mental attitude?
2. Is your attitude positive or negative majority of the day?
3. In what ways could you be sabotaging your positive mental attitude?
These thought provoking questions are designed to get you thinking about what you’re thinking about. Your attitude is your window to the world.
So, if you have a positive attitude you will see the good and positive but if your attitude is negative (stinking thinking) then how you operate and engage with other people is going to be negative.
Think of your attitude as the mental filter through which you experience the world around you.
Something I read in a book titled “Attitude is Everything” written by Jeff Keller, he says “some people see the world through the filter of optimism (the glass being half full) while others see life though a filter of pessimism (the glass being half empty).
He gives some examples to explain the difference between a positive attitude and negative attitude.
· The person with the negative attitude thinks “I CAN’T”
· The person with the positive attitude thinks “I CAN”
· The person with the negative attitude dwells on problems
· The person with the positive attitude concentrates on solutions
· The person with the negative attitude finds fault with others
· The person with the positive attitude looks for the good in others
· The person with the negative focuses on what’s missing
· The person with the positive attitude counts his or her blessings
These statements really make you think about how you think.
Remember our “Attitudes are a secret power working 24 hours a day, for good or bad “– So choose the good.
One thing I know for sure is if you are complaining you’re slowly developing a negative attitude. It starts small… but if you find yourself just complaining about everything (I think that the number one joy stealer is complaining). Why? Because it causes you to focus on all the negative things that are going on in your life - and that my friend will most certainly affect your attitude.
I would like to share with you a couple of gold nuggets a good friend of mine Nikea Ray shared with me – just a little something to help you remember not to complain. You can say this to yourself when you feel a negative attitude developing in your spirit - It simply says:
“I choose to be thankful for everything that comes my way. I realize that complaining is draining. Complaining is counterproductive and will not get me anywhere I’m trying to go. I won’t complain. I will look at every situation and find a lesson in it. I will look at every situation and find a blessing in it. My complaining days are over.”
So, I encourage you to choose the right mental attitude. Recognize in yourself whether you have a positive or negative attitude.
And from a faith perspective You can
Speak words that please God: Psalm 19:14 “May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.”
“Lord, help me to not think negative thoughts or say critical words about anyone. Forgive me for any time I have done that, for I know it does not please You. Help me to be careful about the words I speak so that I won’t say anything that hurts someone. Help me to treat others with kindness, patience, and love. Enable me to build people up and not tear them down. I know that words matter and You have said in your Word that “Those who guide their lips preserve their lives” (Proverbs 13:3).
Teach me to think before I speak so that I say words that are honest and caring and sensitive.”
Ok so now that you understand a little more about mental attitude let me share with you more about the power of thinking positive: The topics I will review are:
· What is positive thinking?
· Motivational Channels to positive thinking.
· How positive thinking can enhance your life
Mark Twain said, “The secret to getting ahead is getting started”
So, let’s get started.
But before I do let me share my personal affirmation with you – saying it out loud to myself every morning gets me excited and keeps moving forward with my personal goal of growing Voices of Encouragement to empower all women.
I’m a powerful purpose driven woman on a mission
In 2017 I assumed my position
Thanking God for my direction and clarity, cause he’s my creator He chose this career for me
So just sit back, step back, and watch me flow, cause VOE, we are on the grow
We keep showing, suiting, stepping up to the plate
Believing extreme success is our only fate
And as we break pass this invisible wall of fear
Let me keep real and be very clear
If you think you know you have no idea
No idea is what you have, cause I’m super charged I’m highly powered I’m bad to the bone the name is Edna E. Howard
What is positive thinking? The positive inner voice (avoiding the chatterbox)
Making a conscious deliberate effort to continually believe in your abilities.
What are the motivational channels to positive thinking?
4. Motivational Tapes
7. Inspirational Movies
What can positive thinking provide:
The use of positive thinking can create a powerful life for you: There are a couple of things you need to be aware of:
1. Realize that the only person that can make you happy is YOU!
2. Heighten your level of awareness – hang out with eagles so you can fly high (those who are on the move and can motivate you to get on the move.
3. Choose power over pain
I have a little excise I want you to do. OK, image if you will a chart: I’ll call it the “Pain to Power Chart”
Take out a piece a paper and draw a line down the middle put an arrow on each side and now write PAIN on the left side and POWER on the right side
PAIN (most of us can place ourselves somewhere in the middle) POWER
OK – Now let me give you some pain to power vocabulary and you can use the chart to place the pain vocab on the left side of the page and power vocab on the right side of the page.
Changing your vocabulary: Pain-to-Power Vocabulary
I can’t ---------------------------------------------------------------------I won’t
I should ------------------------------------------------------------------I could
It’s not my fault ---------------------------------------------------------I’m totally responsible
It’s a problem ---------------------------------------------------------- It’s an opportunity
Life is a struggle ------------------------------------------------------ Life is an adventure
OK so now you have a tool to use when deciding on vocabulary to help you think more positive.
Next let’s talk about
How can you activate your positive thinking!
· You make a choice whether you will be in control of your life or if life will control you. Said differently, you can choose to seize the day or let the day seize you.
· Your attitude determines whether you are a success or a failure at any task (if you think you CAN your CAN if you think you CAN” T your right)
· Use every experience as an opportunity.
HOW CAN POSITIVE THINKING ENHANCE YOUR LIFE?
1. Why be miserable when you can be happy. Create a happier world for you and those around you “Pollyanna Attitude”
2. A positive outlook creates a very “realistic” life of joy and satisfaction”
3. It’s reported that over 90% of what we worry about never happens. That means that our negative worries have about a 10% change of being correct. (If this is so then being it possible that being positive is more realistic then being negative)
Make a commitment to think positive:
· Draw from the higher power within (God) you and make an individual commitment today
· Make your life a best seller and become the most positive person you know
· Happiness is a journey not a destination
Positive thoughts Lead to Enthusiasm:
· Enthusiasm derives from the two Greek words En Theos, meaning “inspired by God” our lives need to be inspired, infuses, filled afresh with Gods goodness every day.
· You may not have somebody patting you on the back and cheering you on – and your day may not be filled with extraordinary events, but you can still give it everything you got with enthusiasm and be an example for others.
Repeat after me: “In 2018 I will the most positive person I know”
Now Let me give a Day-To-Day Action Plan
1. Fill the first 10 minutes to an hour of your day with inspiration books (devotionals), spend time with God, motivational music, and motivational YouTube or tapes (I really suggest not listening to negative news and going on Facebook)
2. Don’t hang out around TOXIC negative people. (They will sap your energy). Have I ever shared with you about the 30, 15, 10, 5, 1 (minute people) let me share this theory?
The 30, 15, 10, these are the inspirational people you want to be around (these folks talk about events not people, you feel good and empowered just to being in their space- they lift you up! You feel amazing when you leave their presence) Then there are the 5 and 1-minute people (these are the folks who make you feel down and who never really have anything good to say about others and they make you feel bad about yourself and situations (these folks are the ones you must say hi to and keep it moving (because you know they don’t have anything good to say to you or about others)
3. Don’t give your attention to your immediate disasters (look to a positive future/Hold the VISION)
4. Lose the Fear of What other people think about YOU!! This such a big one – if your fear of what people think about you is keeping you from taking bold strokes in the world then you are allowing the fear of what others think of you control your life. News flash you serve God not man. Remember: No weapon formed against you will prospers, you are more than a conquer, and greater is He who lives in you then He that is in the world.
Success begins with your own will.
IT’s all in your state of mind…
Life’s battles are not always won by those who are Stronger and Faster; Sooner or later the person who wins is the person who thinks She can
Scripture tells us Matthew 5:16 “Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to the Father in heaven”
BE IN CONTROL OF YOUR ATTITUDE (Do not allow outside forces to control how you feel inside) – Remember to never compare your inside to someone else’s outside, because you can never be really sure what they are going through.
Words of encouragement: Never Let what you can’t do prevent you from what you can do”
Remember you get to define for People what is Possible”
One last thing I want to leave with you are some suggested Inspirational Books that I personally have read:
· Bible (inspired by God)
· Attitude is Everything (Jeff Keller)
· Battlefield of the Mind (Joyce Meyers)
· Power of Positive thinking (Dr. Norman Vincent Peale)
· Your Best Life Now (Joel Olsteen)
· Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway (Dr. Susan Jeffers)
· Dream Giver (Bruce Wilkins)
· Power Thoughts (Joyce Meyers)
Something you can say to yourself when you wake up in morning: Repeat after me:
NOW IS THE TIME FOR ME TO RE-LIGHT MY FIRE
AND RECAPTURE MY ENTHUSIASM
TODAY I ADOPT A FRESH POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!!!
Thanks so much for listening in.
If you have enjoyed our time together please share this podcast, or tell a friend about it. Mark your calendars for the upcoming Voices of Encouragements Women’s Empowerment Workshop scheduled for Saturday, June 9th. For more information email me at: Voemetoday@gmail.com.
Have a triple P Week: Powerful, Positive, and Productive
Until we meet again remember Ephesians 4:11 “Walk worthy of the calling with which you were called”